Tuesday, 02 September 2014 10:05
In a time when it seems that doing the right thing environmentally may not align with doing the profitable thing, the Illinois Environmental Council acts as a guiding light. Every year, the organization awards top legislators with the “Environmental Champion - 100% Scorecard” award and places them on their environmental scorecard. Senator Terry Link (D-Waukegan) was one of the recipients this year.
“It is an honor to receive this award from the Illinois Environmental Council,” Link said. “While our job as legislators is to work for the people of this great state, if we didn’t also do our part to look after the environment of Illinois the people would wind up in some sorry shape.”
In order to receive the honor, legislators needed to vote for 11 pieces of legislation that the IEC deemed key to their environmental goals. Legislators who did not receive 100 percent awards needed to vote in favor of at least eight of the ten. Those bills for 2014 include:
- HB5657, which sought to change regulations for vendors at farmer’s markets, allowing them to sell in multiple counties with greater ease.
- HB4227 streamlines requirements for electronics recyclers, making it easy to comply with the Electronic Products Recycling Act.
- HB2427, which authorizes a one-time $30 million supplemental procurement from the Renewable Energy Resources Fund for solar energy.
- SB2727 bans plastic microbeads from use in facial scrubs and body washes.
- SB2780 which creates funding for green stormwater infrastructure and pollution prevention projects.
While not one of the bills on the scorecard, Link sponsored SB2928 in an effort to keep prescription drugs out of Lake County’s water system by creating a drug disposal pilot program in that area.
"Senator Link has been a constant advocate for the environment in Springfield throughout his career,” said Jen Walling, the IEC’s executive director. “This year, he did excellent work to protect water from pollution from pharmaceuticals and also was a leader on renewable energy. I am pleased to congratulate him on his perfect record this year."