SPRINGFIELD – Legislation championed by State Senator Steve Stadelman to strengthen protections for survivors of domestic violence has been signed into law, closing a gap that could leave victims vulnerable between an emergency order of protection and the service of a final order of protection.
“When court determines that survivor needs a final order of protection, that protection should never be interrupted because of an administrative delay,” said Stadelman (D-Rockford). “This new law will ensure an order of protection remains fully enforceable throughout the process and will give survivors greater certainty that the legal protections granted to them will remain in place.”
More than 62,000 petitions for orders of protection were filed in Illinois last year, underscoring the importance of ensuring these legal safeguards remain effective and enforceable.
The Stadelman-led law will provide uninterrupted coverage for survivors and strengthen protections for individuals seeking safety from abuse. The law will protect survivors of domestic abuse by ensuring an emergency order of protection remains in effect until a plenary, or final, order of protection has been served. Under previous law, once a judge granted a plenary order, the emergency order was no longer in effect, leading to gaps in enforceable protections in situations where service of the plenary order was delayed.
“This law was inspired by a constituent who showed how even a brief gap in protection can create real fear and risk for survivors,” said Stadelman. “Her experience helped drive this change, and I’m proud that Illinois has now taken action to ensure victims remain protected every step of the way.”
Senate Bill 3044 was signed into law Tuesday and goes into effect Jan. 1, 2028.









